background

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The True Meaning of CHRISTmas!

On my way to work this morning, I was listening to some Christmas music on the radio. One of our radio stations play Christmas music all the way through the holiday season. I understand that there are a ton of songs out there that are "funny" and have to do with Santa, and lots of other things associated with Christmas. I did not however know that there was a song entitled,
"The 12 pains of Christmas." This song took on a whole outlook to Christmas and what this season is all about. It also poked fun at the "12 Days of Christmas." A few of the pains included in this song were, children crying, dealing with inlaws, charity, and shopping for gifts. Color me crazy, but I thought the whole meaning behind Christmas was to celebrate the birth of Jesus. Over the years, this concept has appearantly been lost. This season is no longer about family, celebrating the birth of a King, being together, or just being happy and excited about life. It is now all about who gives the best and most expensive gifts, complaining because you had to spend a little bit of time with some people that you might not particulary care for, complaining about traveling, throwing a fit because "Santa" didn't bring you exactly what you wanted, complaining because you had to stand in line for hours to get that one perfect gift for someone you didn't really even like. When did it get to be like this? When did we all loose our values? When did the true meaning of the season change? Why do we now care more about things than people? Why do we put so much pressure on gift giving and trivial pursuits? Personally, this year will be different for my family. My grandmother, the matriarch of our family, is not doing so well. She has been through so much this past year. Her health is declining everyday. There is a very distinct possibility that this could be our last Christmas with her. So this year, I am choosing not to focus on anything but being with my family and all the things that brings with it. I don't care about the gifts. I love giving to other people, but I would be just fine with not receiving any. I have so much in my life and so many things to be thankful for. I don't care about all the little things that could go wrong anymore. I am just excited that I get to spend the whole day with my grandmother and my family just being together. I challenge anyone who might read this, to spend this Christmas season focusing on what this season is truely about. Focus on those who are not quite as fortunate as you. Focus on those who might not have the family that you have, Focus on those that just need a smile from you. Focuse less on all those small things that aggrivate you. Focus less on things and more on life and family. Focus on the reason we celebrate this particular holiday and all the joy it brings. Focus less on yourself and more on others. Focus on Life!

No comments: