background

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Time is changing

This week has been particularly stressful for me. Its been stressful, but very eye opening for me. This was my week....
Monday:
Work, last minute Fields of Faith stuff, run errands
Tuesday:
Work, put together everything for FOF, run errands
My phone blew up all morning with calls for FOF, then the cell tower went down and I couldn't receive or make calls or text anyone. I finally got a hold of my dad (thank God for Onstar and call minutes) and found out that he lost his job on Tuesday. They closed the car dealership where he worked. By the end of that day, I really just wanted to cry myself to sleep.
Wednesday:
Day of Fields of Faith, getting everything together and set up for FOF, FOF, Cleanup for FOF, stress of planning and carrying out a large event.
Thursday:
Work, class, recovering from FOF
I found out Thursday morning that they were rushing my grandmother into the hospital. She had been tossing her cookies for about a day, and they were afraid she was going to dehydrate. They gave her some medicine and sent her home. She still isn't doing to well. I had class that night and wasn't prepared for it. I am not a fan of that.
Friday:
Work, then date night
Saturday:
Dinner with Courtney in Fort Worth.
On the way home I called an old friend from high school. I talk to him every now and then and hadn't talked to him in a while. I guess God was telling me to call him. Well it was a completely eye opening converstation. This friend and I pretty much grew up together. He was super close to my brothers and me. Well we were doing the whole catch up thing. You know, how is life? Good and yours? Then I asked if he was still in school and he hit me with it. He told me the week of finals before he was supposed to graduate he started his first round of chemo. I was like "Whoa! Chemo? What is that about?" He told me that he had been diagnosed with testicular cancer. Back in December, he was working some cattle and was kicked in the groin by a calf. His groin area swelled up pretty good. He didn't really think to much about it for a while. In March, the area begin hurting super bad, so he went to get it checked out. The doctor ran a couple of tests and determined that he had testicular cancer. They ran a few more tests and found that the cancer had spread to his stomach and possibly his lungs. At that time they began an agressive chemo regimen. He was only 21. He was a fairly healthy, extremely active, typical 21 year old good guy. He caught me completely offguard with the whole cancer thing. It hit me like a ton of bricks. I just couldn't believe that something like that would happen to someone like him. He seems like he is doing well, though. He is getting his life back. He is working, and doing well. As of August, there was no more cancer.

All of this just took its toll on me. I know that sounds completely selfish. I shoulder everyone else's pain and problems. I can't help it. I have done that my entire life. My dad, my grandma, Brent, I shoulder every bit of their pain. I guess I feel like its up to me to fix everything, or at least do everything I can to make it better. That was not the case this week. I couldn't fix anything. I just pray that this week is a little better. If you read this, please say an extra little prayer for my dad, grandma, and Brent this week.

1 comment:

Georgia said...

Megan,

I am so sorry to hear of all these things hitting you all at the sam time. I wondered while I was reading this if you were an oldest sister like me. I, too, go through my days feeling like I have to fix everything and solve all problems. The mom in me doesn't help much with that either. I'll be thinking of you and praying that you'll have some peace in your heart in taking on the pain of others.